It’s that time of the year when we seek passionate people to come forward and run for various positions and join the WCSA committee for the 2020-2021 academic year. There are 11 elective positions to fill.
This is an invitation for you to nominate yourself. Before you begin, please take a look at the WCSA election guide which gives you a clear idea of the election processes and what each office entails as well as why you should run. Please note that the election dates in that document are from the previous year, so refer to this webpage for relevant dates for the 2020 election.
When nominations have opened, we will include a link here to the nomination form.
You might want to take a look at some samples of past manifestos here to help you prepare your manifesto. This shouldn’t be a stressful process so you are strongly encouraged to come forward and nominate yourself. Serving on WCSA Committee is a fantastic way to contribute to the Wolfson community and to participate in College governance. Do not be put off from running if you feel you don’t have enough experience/knowledge of the College — enthusiasm, hard work, and motivation are all you need!
Positions for Election
All WCSA Committee positions are up for election:
- President (must be able to serve for one full year (i.e. until November 2021) and be here to help the next committee get started as a Transition President) (1 position)
- Vice President (1 position)
- Junior Treasurer (must be able to serve for a fiscal year i.e. January 2021-2022) (1 position)
- Secretary (1 position)
- Entertainments Officers (2 positions open)
- Sports & Societies Officer
- Welfare Officer (1 position)
- Green & Sustainability Officer (1 position)
- External Officer (2 positions open)
The duties of each officer are described under WCSA Standing Order (See the Standing Order section or the current constitution). A more detailed description of roles can be found in the WCSA committee handbook. If you have any questions, I encourage you to contact a current member of WCSA Committee.
Nominations will be opened 17 October 2020. If you wish to nominate yourself, please complete the nomination form with the following information:
- Your full name and CRSid
- The role for which you are standing (you may only stand for election to one role)
- Title and level of your course
- Expected graduation date
- A picture of yourself (JPG, PNG, or GIF)
- A one-page manifesto describing your candidacy
Nominations are due by 10:00 pm on 25 October 2020.
All candidates must attend a public hustings (Election speech) event on 5 November 2020 at 7:00 p.m. At this event, each candidate will be invited to speak for 2 minutes and receive questions from the audience. If there are any positions for which no one is standing for election, individuals may nominate themselves at the hustings.
Voting will open at 12am, 6 November 2020 and close at 12am, 8 November 2020. WCSA elections are conducted online by secret ballot using the single transferable vote (STV) system. For all positions, the option of “re-open nominations” (RON) will be available.
A link to the online voting platform is available here
The results of the election shall be announced within 48 hours of the close of voting.